Funding Opportunities Questions

1) Where can I find funding?

There are various search engines available to search for internal or external funding. Please see the section on Find Funding to obtain additional information.

2) What grants should a new researcher apply for?

New researchers should first view the finding funding resources. There are also grants that are specifically intended for new researchers, such as the NIH Mentored Career Development grants.

 3) What is eRA commons?

The Electronic Research Administration (eRA) Commons is a virtual, online meeting place where National Institutes of Health (NIH) extramural grantee organizations, grantees, and the public can receive and transmit information about the administration of biomedical and behavioral research. For the purposes of exchanging research grants administration information, the NIH provides this online resource. The eRA Commons is divided into both unrestricted and restricted portions that provide for public and confidential information, respectively. A researcher planning to apply to the NIH for funding is required to have an eRACommons user account.

 4) What is is a web portal through which all applications for federal funding are submitted electronically. To view the website, copy and paste the following link into a web browser (